Sunday, May 8, 2011

Scripture Sunday: James 1: 2-4

Every Sunday on this site I will take some time to look at a passage from the Bible that I like and think is great... though they could obviously be presented by themselves without further mention, I will throw my two cents in on what the verse(s) mean to me.

Today we look at one of my favorite and one of the most comforting passages in the Bible, in my opinion, and it comes from the start of James.

"Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." (James 1: 2-4)

Through this passage James tells us not to despair or get down when we go through various trials in life (as we all will), because if we let it, it will simply be a test of our faith that will produce perseverance, and allow our faith to grow stronger.

Often there is no real growth unless we go through some type of hardship and struggle to get there. This will allow us to see what we are truly made of, and the amazing things we capable of and able to endure. However, we will only be able to grow properly from it if we have the right attitude, which is why James says to let our perseverance be perfect. If we take the lessons from the hardship, our faith will strengthen and we will become better people.

This passage has been a great help for me in times of difficulty, and has given me the courage and strength to move forward and try to become a better person because of the difficulty. I hope it can do the same for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment