Thursday, March 17, 2011

Quotes by Abraham Lincoln

One of my favorite people ever is Abraham Lincoln (and not just because I share a birthday with him... although that helps!) He was a man of great integrity and honesty, and it is because of this that he is known as the greatest United States President in the history of this great nation.

He was also pretty smart too, and had some great quotes along the way. Here are some of his best ones, as selected by me:

--------------------------------------------------------------

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other."

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"

"Every one desires to live long, but no one would be old."

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be."

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure."

"Whatever you are, be a good one."

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."

"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have any other good Abraham Lincoln quotes?

Other Abe Lincoln Links
- The Gettysburg Address
- Recommended Biography of Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment