Thursday, March 24, 2011

Keeping Things In Perspective


In this life, it is easy for us to blow things out of perspective, and lose sight of the things that are really important (or should be really important), and instead focus on other things.

This can especially manifest itself in focusing on negative things. It is generally far easier and simpler for us to focus on our problems and the unfairness of life, rather than the good things that we do have, or the many blessings that we receive. For me, when I have to work late, I think it stinks that I have to work late... instead of focusing on the fact that I am fortunate to have a good job, or that I live above the poverty line, or that I don't have to worry about where I am going to sleep tonight or where my next meal will come from.

For most people, the good things in life laughably outnumber the bad things, but the bad things are all anyone focuses on. I read a reflection once that talked about perspective:

"Am I good at keeping things in perspective - or do I blow things out of proportion? Do my fears rule me or do I view them against the backdrop of God's love? In whom does my hope lie?"

Of course, it is not easy when things go wrong to have an eternal perspective, but that is exactly what we should strive for. To know that even when little things in life go wrong, God is still in our side, so does the litter inconvenience really matter? (The Lord is my shepherd, whom shall I fear?)

When we keep things in perspective and give them the proper weight that they deserve, we find that the little things in life don't really matter. Or, more so, they are simply trivial when we have our hope in the Lord.

Where does your hope lie?

(Photo from here)

No comments:

Post a Comment