Saturday, November 27, 2010

About the title of this blog

If you asked people their favorite Bible verse, you would get hundreds of answers (if you asked enough people, you would get thousands of different answers). There are an incredible amount of great Bible verses; God is that good!

Because of that, it's tough to pick a favorite verse from the Bible. However, if I was held at gunpoint and asked to pick my favorite Bible verse (first off, I hope to never be in that situation; secondly, what a strange request from the person holding the gun, but I suppose that is why this is a hypothetical example), I would pick Luke 1:38.

"Mary said, 'Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word."

Of course, we hopefully know the story. Mary is told that she is pregnant, and not just with any child, but with the Son of God. Practically speaking, there are many consequences. Since she is not married, she will likely have a difficult time within society. Since Joseph, to whom she was betrothed, knew that he was not the father of the child, she had to guess that he would leave her. On a larger level, I have to imagine that the possibility of raising the Son of God to be a rather daunting one.

Yet, she replies without hesitation, essentially telling the Angel Gabriel, "I am here only to do God's work. Let His will be done, I will do what He wants."

This is the attitude that we are always called to have. Let us always follow Mary's example and say to God, "May it be done to me according to your word."

No comments:

Post a Comment