Wednesday, June 22, 2011

On The Power of Reading

I love reading and literature, in part because it feels like you are experiencing something new with each book or story that you read. You are (in a sense) reliving what the author has experienced, or what the author thinks and believes.

“To read a writer is for me not merely to get an idea of what he says, but to go off with him and travel in his company.” - Andre Gide

An article I read a while back explains this feeling better than I can. Charles Pierce wrote:

"When Dan Jenkins wrote about an Oklahoma game, he could make you think, well, screw Paris in the '20s — Norman, Okla., is the only place to be. While I was at The National, I finally made it to Norman. I realized that what had made Norman great was that Jenkins was there."

Reading is a great way to experience the world and the thoughts of those you would otherwise never get the chance to interact with. This is why reading is so great.

Any book recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment