Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up

Many of you have possible (hopefully?) seen this video at some point, but if not, I thought it would be good to post.

Jim Valvano was a college basketball coach, mostly back in the 1980s, before he passed away in the early 90s from cancer. Before he died, he started The V Foundation (with the help of others) aimed at raising money for cancer research.

In 1993, he gave one of the most inspiration speeches that I have ever seen at the ESPY Awards.



Highlights from the speech:

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special. "
"It's so important to know where you are. I know where I am right now. How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal. You have to be willing to work for it."
And it's motto is "Don't give up, don't ever give up." That's what I'm going to try to do every minute that I have left. I will thank God for the day and the moment I have.

RIP Jimmy V.

No comments:

Post a Comment