Sunday, January 30, 2011

Scripture Sunday: James 3:13

Every Sunday on this site I will take some time to look at a passage from the Bible that I like and think is great... though they could obviously be presented by themselves without further mention, I will throw my two cents in on what the verse(s) mean to me.

In our world, a lot of emphasis is placed on wisdom and knowledge. They say that knowledge is power. But sometimes you don't have to open your mouth to show that you are truly wise.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show his works by a good life in the humility that comes from wisdom."

To me, that lays clearly that actions speak louder than words, and that true wisdom does not come with knowing more things than another person, but recognizing what it truly important in life, and showing that through your actions.

St. Francis of Assisi famously said, "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words." And I believe this same concept is shown in this Bible passage. True wisdom and knowledge is shown through a life of service and humility. We do not truly grow in wisdom and knowledge by learning the multiplication tables (though I highly recommend learning them), but by loving God, and thereby loving and serving our neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment