Friday, July 1, 2011

The Screwtape Letters: Chapter 4

Each week I will summarize a chapter from The Screwtape Letters

This chapter deals with prayer. Oftentimes we find our prayer simply meandering... our mind focuses on something else, and all of a sudden we are not really praying, we are thinking about what is on our to do list. It is then that we stop listening to God for advice, and simply try to follow our own path, which does not lead us anywhere.

Lewis writes:

"He may be persuaded to aim at something entirely spontaneous, inward, informal, and unregularized; and what this will actually mean to be a beginner will be an effort to produce in himself a vaguely devotional mood in which real concentration of will and intelligence have no part." (20)


For me, this definitely is true at times. I will go in with the intent of praying, and leave not really sure I actually listened to what God was trying to tell me. I let myself be distracted and therefore miss the prayer itself.

We must focus on aligning our wills with God when we pray. Focus on talking and listening to Him, and what He wants to tell us. When we are able to zone into this... and not simply think about what we have to do when we stop praying, that is when prayer can and will have a transformative affect on our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment