Friday, July 8, 2011

The Screwtape Letters: Chapter 5

Each week I will summarize a chapter from The Screwtape Letters.

In this chapter they are discussing a war that is going on in the world. Initially, Screwtape is happy because he believes it an ideal time to make the person "bad," but Wormwood warns him to not think it so easy.

It reminds us that there can be good through any circumstance and any trial. Even terrible things such as war, we can learn and grow from them. We know that God means to bring out a positive in any situation. We must look at all of the hardships in life, and all of the bad things around us, as opportunities to grow closer to God and grow in virtue.

There is another line in this chapter that really hits home for me:

"And how disastrous for us is the continual remembrance of death which war enforces. One of our best weapons, contended worldliness, is rendered useless. In wartime not even a human can believe that he is going to live forever." (27)

This was good for me to read because I am still at the point in life where it seems like (in my mind) I will live forever. And most definitely that can lead to a sense of complacency, and that I will have forever to do the things that I want, to help who I want to help, and become the person I want to be.

But the funny thing about life is that we don't actually have all of that time. Things can change in an instant... the only certainty in life is that it won't go as planned. It reminds me of a quote from Steve Jobs Commencement Speech (emphasis mine):

"When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: “If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.” It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

--------

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma–which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Today is the day to start doing the things you really want in life, to become the person you've always wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment