Sunday, December 5, 2010

Scripture Sunday: Romans 8:32

Every Sunday on this site I will take some time to look at a passage from the Bible that I like and think is great... though they could obviously be presented by themselves without further mention, I will throw my two cents in on what the verse(s) mean to me.

Romans is one of my favorite books of the Bible, and Romans 8:32 is undoubtedly one of my favorite passages in the Bible. I see it as a great comfort for us.

(32) He who did not spare is own Son but handed him over for us all, how will he also not give us everything else along with him?

If we believe that Christ died for our sins, then what in this world could possibly worry us? What would cause us alarm or fear?

If God sent His only Son to us - and not only sent His Son, but allowed Him to be crucified - then will He not take care of us? If He loves us that much, then what is to fear?

Sometimes people can convince themselves that if they have done bad things, or if they don't think they have been a good enough person, that God could not possibly love them or forgive them. To that I politely say: hogwash. Jesus asked the Father to forgive those that crucified Him, surely He will fight for our forgiveness if we only just ask. For however great and unspeakable your sins are, my guess is that they are not quite comparable to crucifying Jesus.

St. Paul goes on in the passage to write that neither anguish, distress, famine, peril, persecution, nakedness, or the sword do not separate us from the love of Christ, but rather we conquer them though Him who loved us.

Just try to think about that the next time that you are worried or stressed out about something!

No comments:

Post a Comment