Monday, February 21, 2011

My Favorite State High Points

So far in my life I have climbed the high point for 3 states. Ideally, I will reach all 50 before the end of my days, but for now, here are the rankings of my favorites (to be updated as I climb more!)

1) Eagle Mountain, Minnesota - This one is helped by the fact that I climbed it with Hannah! It's also helped that it's in the area of the beautiful North Shore of Minnesota, right along Lake Superior. The views aren't spectacular along the way, but the area is gorgeous, filled with plenty of vegetation (the trail enters the Boundary Waters about a mile in, which is a prime spot if you like remote nature that has been well-preserved from too much human contact). It is not a super strenuous hike but it does get a little long, about 7 miles round trip. But totally worth it!

(Note: If you are in the area you would be remiss if you did not stop at all of the state parks along the North Shore. Temperance River, Tettegouche, Split Rock, and Gooseberry Falls are all beautiful, more scenic than the high point itself. I can't recommend it highly enough).



2) Mt. Frissell, Connecticut - I liked this hike and high point because I felt like a real explorer. The high point was pretty remote, and it didn't seem to be popular at all. Just finding it was an adventure, as was the fact that I was the only one on the trail. Adding to it, it rained steadily on me as I approached the top, and then while I was at the high point itself. Pretty darn fun to explore and adventure around there.

On a funny note, the high point of Connecticut is a point on Mt. Frissell. This is funny because the actual peak of the mountain is in Massachusetts! At one point during the hike I was in Connecticut, New York, and Massachusetts.... pretty darn cool!



3) High Point State Park, New Jersey - This one was a bit lame, I must say. Because it was within a state park, it was a very popular tourist area, with beaches within the park. They also had a road that took you right up to the top, which (for me) kinda defeats the purpose of the high point. So I did what any good adventurer would do.... drove to the high point, but then didn't look out at all, hiked to the bottom, and then hiked back up. That made things a lot more fun!

The thing it did have going for it is that there was a gorgeous view at the high point. From the high point you can look out and see New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York, as well as the Delaware River... so that is pretty cool! Definitely still worth a trip if you are in the area!

No comments:

Post a Comment