Sunday, February 20, 2011

Scripture Sunday: Genesis 18: 13-14

Every Sunday on this site I will take some time to look at a passage from the Bible that I like and think is great... though they could obviously be presented by themselves without further mention, I will throw my two cents in on what the verse(s) mean to me.

This week is a look at a verse from the story of Abraham and Sarah... they are well past the child-bearing age, but they are told that Sarah is pregnant and will have a baby. Sarah laughs at this, knowing that she is past the child-bearing age. Then we get this nugget of wisdom.

"But the Lord said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Shall I really bear a child, old as I am?" Is there anything too marvelous for the Lord to do?"

So many times we think that our plans are too grandiose, or that we do not have a right (not the best word, maybe, but you know my point) to dream big or to feel that we can accomplish a lot. We think we are too busy, don't have enough money, don't know how to do something... but if it is something that the Lord also desires, is there anything too marvelous for Him?

St. Therese of Lisieux wrote in Story of a Soul, "I want to be fascinated by Your gaze." She knew the secret that all saints have known, and more difficult, that they have truly been able to live out... that nothing is too marvelous for the Lord. If we let Him, He will fascinate us.

And then what a more fulfilling, uplifting, marvelous life we will live.

No comments:

Post a Comment