Wednesday, February 23, 2011

On Perspective

In college I took a class on Detective Fiction, a genre that I absolutely love. It was a great class (seriously, I just got to read Detective Fiction books and write about them, what could be better than that?), and one of the surprisingly fun parts about it is that some of the books had some great insights on life.

One book that I read was called "Valley of Bones" by the author Michael Gruber. It was one of my favorite books of the class, and actually at one point in the book it provided me with a great prayer that I still pray to this day. But I will talk about that another time on this blog I am sure!

Anyway, this particular section deals with the perspective we have on life and how we view things, and some of the ways that God talks to us. The book talks about the "Conspiracy of Accidents." God is there, we just have to look for him!

But I digress. The section in the book is:

"A pilot walks into a saloon in Alaska and the bartender says, oh Fred we have not seen you in church recently. Where have you been? The pilot says, I don't go to church any longer. I have lost my faith. The bartender says, but why? The pilot says, last month I crushed my plan in the wilderness in the mountains and I was trapped in the wreckage. I prayed to God to get me out but nothing happened. Day after day I am praying, but nothing. I decide there is no God and I am going to die and there is nothing after death. This is how I lost my faith. So the bartender says, but you did escape from there. You are here alive. And the pilot says, oh, that had nothing to do with God. Some damn Eskimo wandered by and pulled me out." (265)

Are we open to the ways that God talks to us?

No comments:

Post a Comment