Sunday, February 6, 2011

Scripture Sunday: Romans 8:18

Every Sunday on this site I will take some time to look at a passage from the Bible that I like and think is great... though they could obviously be presented by themselves without further mention, I will throw my two cents in on what the verse(s) mean to me.

Jesus tells us that in order to share in the glory with Him, we need to carry our cross, and accept our sufferings. Sometimes these sufferings can seem to be too great, but we have to always keep in mind that they are minuscule in comparison to the glory of heaven. Paul writes in Romans:

"I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us."

If we are able to see things this way, our sufferings take on a whole new meaning. No longer would we despair when things go wrong, but we would rejoice, because we know that the suffering is bringing us closer to our Lord.

When we carry our cross and accept our sufferings, we are joined with Jesus and his suffering. We are able to understand God and His plan for us. Suffering can often leave us feeling empty, and feeling like we are ready to give up. This is the time to turn to God, who will provide comfort for us and show Himself to us.

In the end, we must do everything we can to have the attitude of Mother Teresa, as quoted in Come Be My Light:

"Now I really rejoice when something does not go as I wish = because I see that He wants our trust - that is why in the loss let us praise God as if we have got everything." (24)

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment